DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to call customer service Saturday evening due to my constant reauthorization of my HR20-700. I was not able to see the MLB EI (I subscribe) channels in the 700 series. I could view the games on the RSN's (I have Sports Pack).

The CSR stated this to me regarding MLB blackout rules as to the reason I could not watch the games: :confused:

1. MLB has the same blackout rules as the NFL. Really! And this is the best one, wait for it....

2. If a MLB game is not SOLD OUT by the beginning of the first inning then the game is blackout. :eek2:

I wish I could say I was making this up, but I'm not.
 

·
Freethinker
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
Not every CSR is a first round pick. But at least they make mistakes that give us an excuse to come here and post threads where we can vent and act superior.
 

·
This Space for Sale
Joined
·
7,466 Posts
Hope you got your viewing resolved in spite of your CSR. But I'd be more concerned about your HR20-700 requiring "constant reauthorization." I suggest you call back and talk with their Technical reps and see if that can be fixed.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
107 Posts
golfnut-n-nh said:
2. If a MLB game is not SOLD OUT by the beginning of the first inning then the game is blackout. :eek2:

I wish I could say I was making this up, but I'm not.
Wow... I can think of about 15 ball clubs off the top of my head that would never air a single game! :lol:

EDIT: Okay, more then 15..
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trh said:
Hope you got your viewing resolved in spite of your CSR. But I'd be more concerned about your HR20-700 requiring "constant reauthorization." I suggest you call back and talk with their Technical reps and see if that can be fixed.
Call again on Sunday and a technical rep was very helpful. I have a service call scheduled for Saturday.
 

·
Godfather/Supporter
Joined
·
2,033 Posts
golfnut-n-nh said:
I had the opportunity to call customer service Saturday evening due to my constant reauthorization of my HR20-700. I was not able to see the MLB EI (I subscribe) channels in the 700 series. I could view the games on the RSN's (I have Sports Pack).

The CSR stated this to me regarding MLB blackout rules as to the reason I could not watch the games: :confused:

1. MLB has the same blackout rules as the NFL. Really! And this is the best one, wait for it....

2. If a MLB game is not SOLD OUT by the beginning of the first inning then the game is blackout. :eek2:

I wish I could say I was making this up, but I'm not.
I think there's been a mistake. Did you by chance call 1-800-333-3474 by mistake? :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,632 Posts
Shades228 said:
So the technician is going to show up and turn on a baseball game? Something doesn't add up.
The odds on getting a "technician" are low. An installer will show up with a replacement HR and activate it and see if that solves the problem.

Rich
 

·
This Space for Sale
Joined
·
7,466 Posts
Rich said:
The odds on getting a "technician" are low. An installer will show up with a replacement HR and activate it and see if that solves the problem.

Rich
You're probably right. So the OP needs to watch everything he has on his DVR and maybe write down all the series links he has on that unit.
 

·
This Space for Sale
Joined
·
7,466 Posts
Shades228 said:
I can tell you that it's not an alignment issue either that caused this.
You're pointing out an issue with DirecTV. The OP tells the CSR the symptoms, and the first one says it a black out issue. Second CSR says it an alignment issue and schedules a tech to do an alignment. I just hope the installer that shows up can properly diagnose the problem and fix it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,632 Posts
trh said:
You're pointing out an issue with DirecTV. The OP tells the CSR the symptoms, and the first one says it a black out issue. Second CSR says it an alignment issue and schedules a tech to do an alignment. I just hope the installer that shows up can properly diagnose the problem and fix it.
Lots of luck with that. At least here in NJ. I used to know two guys who were worthy of the title of Tech, one left and I usually get the other one. No installer is gonna solve that problem, it's probably the HR itself. Truck roll will probably get him a 24, so that's a good thing.

Rich
 

·
This Space for Sale
Joined
·
7,466 Posts
And that is what happened to me several weeks ago. I had an HR21 that I was sure the drive was going bad. I called it in and gave the symptoms to technical support. He said it was a circuit card and they would send a tech to replace the card. Although I've never heard of the techs doing card replacements, I didn't say a word: I wanted a truck to roll because I knew I had a better chance of getting new equipment.

Which is what happened.

Techs arrived, I showed them the problem. "your drive is going so we have to replace the unit."

Unfortunately, all they had were brand-new unopened 24's.
 

·
DaBears
Joined
·
6,085 Posts
trh said:
You're pointing out an issue with DirecTV. The OP tells the CSR the symptoms, and the first one says it a black out issue. Second CSR says it an alignment issue and schedules a tech to do an alignment. I just hope the installer that shows up can properly diagnose the problem and fix it.
I never speculate as to what was said or not said. How many times do people on this forum state they lie to get what they want because they don't want to trouble shoot. Did the agent ask enough questions to really get the information or did they just roll over and offer a SC because they didn't want to deal with it.

Given we only know that he couldn't watch a game in the 700s but could on his RSN's that doesn't imply a hardware issue.

There is a lot of information that is not present which would be required to see what the actual problem is.

We don't know if this is even still going on, what game/s were impacted.
 

·
This Space for Sale
Joined
·
7,466 Posts
I understand we don't know all the details, but I usually trust what someone tells me until they prove they can't be trusted.

But a question: If a customer calls DirecTV with an issue with their equipment, don't the CSRs have a script/flow chart of what to ask? If the OP called and told two different CSRs the same symptoms (an assumption that the same symptoms were given), shouldn't he be asked the same questions and shouldn't the end result be the same?
 

·
DaBears
Joined
·
6,085 Posts
trh said:
I understand we don't know all the details, but I usually trust what someone tells me until they prove they can't be trusted.

But a question: If a customer calls DirecTV with an issue with their equipment, don't the CSRs have a script/flow chart of what to ask? If the OP called and told two different CSRs the same symptoms (an assumption that the same symptoms were given), shouldn't he be asked the same questions and shouldn't the end result be the same?
In theory yes, however the first agent said it was a blackout issue. The OP posted nothing to disprove that, other than he said the agent said the blackouts are the same as NFL and have to be sold out, but it still doesn't prove it wasn't. The second agent believed the issue to be a technical problem. Considering the OP specifcally mentioned dish alignment that seems odd as it wouldn't make any sense even to someone who didn't want to trouble shoot.

Once a problem is identified there are tools to help them resolve it. However the largest reason for communication issues are people assuming they know what to say to get a desired result or an agent assuming they've dealt with this situation so many times they know what it is without asking enough information.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top