DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to take the jump to a DLP or SXRD HD set, which would be my first HD set. All of this talk about major problems with the new MPEG4 boxes has me very concerned about going with the D* HD option at this time. In particular the 2 year requirement when E* allows you to not commit.

I'd like some feedback on just how good/bad the HR20 is. My current set up (which would remain) is 2 SD DirecTIVO HDR40 boxes, which have worked like a charm for 2.5 and almost 3.5 years now.

Would you were an SD customer, would you jump to D* HD offering at this time?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
I think it's one of those things where some people have some issues and others don't have those issues. Hopefully you get a box that doesn't have those issues.

I'm waiting for my HR20 to be installed on the 31st, but then again I have an R15 that doesn't have as many issues as some of the other users of that DVR.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
There are many, many threads already that can help answer your question.

For a quick data point: I've had my HR20 for 4 months now and have had very little problems. Only one lost recording about 2 months ago due to the partial bug (which has been fixed I believe) and had one lockup during that time.
Other then that it's been prefect and stable.

Many here report good boxes, others have problems. I guess you won't know yourself until you get one. If that scares you off then I'd suggest looking at E*, especially if Sunday Ticket doesn't have a hold of you.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
tkrandall said:
I'm looking to take the jump to a DLP or SXRD HD set, which would be my first HD set. All of this talk about major problems with the new MPEG4 boxes has me very concerned about going with the D* HD option at this time. In particular the 2 year requirement when E* allows you to not commit.

I'd like some feedback on just how good/bad the HR20 is. My current set up (which would remain) is 2 SD DirecTIVO HDR40 boxes, which have worked like a charm for 2.5 and almost 3.5 years now.

If you can live with an occasional reboot and some random quirkiness, (and without DLB) you will be happy with the box.

·
Godfather
314 Posts
I've had an HR20 and SXRD for a few months now and I will tell you that the only thing scary is the amount of friends banging down your door Sunday afternoon.

Sure, the HR20 HAD alot of bugs and still HAS a few bugs but I haven't had anything beyond what I would expect from a new product. Most of what you hear on forums is the bad without any of the good. Don't take my word for it, but I have been very happy with Directv HD and overjoyed with my SXRD.

·
Godfather
417 Posts
tkrandall said:
All of this talk about major problems with the new MPEG4 boxes has me very concerned about going with the D* HD option at this
I just bought my new 72" DLP and two HR20 DVR's two weeks ago, so I know what you are going through. I read this forum for several weeks before I made the purchase. But, I will say, my happiness with DirecTV as a whole had a lot to do with my decision. I previously had 2 DirecTivo DVR's that worked almost flawlessly. I have been a D* subscriber since about 1996. What I look at in these DVR's is their potential. The hardware is great! There is a decent amount of disk space and an easy avenue for upgrade. Their are continuous software releases with fixes and new features. This WILL be a great box if everyone doesn't think it is already. Just give it time!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,312 Posts
tkrandall said:

I have D* HD programming for 3 years now and 2 HR20s since Sept. My initial install was done by DTV retailer and he knew what he was doing so when upgraded to HR20 most of cabling in lace was reused. I have had very few issues and some I am not sure it wasnt user error. Id go for it just make sure install is done well

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Joing the fun! :icon_band :icon_kiff :goodjob: :dance07: :icon_da: :jump3: !rolling :blowout:

Just because I got to use my new HR20 for three days before it croaked does not mean anything.... Hopefully my second box will be better

·
Icon
550 Posts
As many bugs as I have seen with my HR20 I still would not go any other route because of the basic hardware. I have been very happy with the picture quality from this unit, and so long as the last quirks get sorted out it will be tremendous. I also love that D* has been willing to somewhat open the doors to those of us on this forum to gain early access to the new releases. Gives us all an opportunity to help make this thing perfect.

I would go for the quality we have with the HR20 any day....

·
Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ajwillys said:
I've had an HR20 and SXRD for a few months now and I will tell you that the only thing scary is the amount of friends banging down your door Sunday afternoon.

Sure, the HR20 HAD alot of bugs and still HAS a few bugs but I haven't had anything beyond what I would expect from a new product. Most of what you hear on forums is the bad without any of the good. Don't take my word for it, but I have been very happy with Directv HD and overjoyed with my SXRD.
which begs the other question of Sony SXRD or Samsung DLP. Such a tough decision! What led you to the SXRD?

·
Godfather
314 Posts
tkrandall said:
which begs the other question of Sony SXRD or Samsung DLP. Such a tough decision! What led you to the SXRD?
I ended up going with the SXRD (LCos) because I liked the 'idea' of the underlying technology better. DLP uses a single chip that alternates colors and uses a fast spinning color wheel to sort it out. Some people can experience rainbow effect from this. I didn't but didn't want to take the risk of friends, family experiencing the effect. Also, I wasn't too sold on 'wobulation'.

In the SXRD, I liked the idea of no moving parts (other than the fan) and having 3 chips producing the color pattern.

As far as the way they looked in the store, it was *almost* impossible to determine which was better because they were adjusted totally different. The Samsung was so bright it even outshined the massive lights in Circuit City. The Sony had a more natural looking color which I prefered but you could probably get the same from Samsung by just turning down the brightness a bit. In the end, I'm glad I picked the Sony. I do think the cabinet design of the Samsung is significantly better though.

I would read these two articles before deciding:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_on_silicon

·
Legend
130 Posts
I "upgraded" my Tivo to the HR20 a couple of months ago. In retrospect I regret making that change. The HR20 is just too buggy. If I were you, I would wait another 6 months before making the switch.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
jbrasure said:
I "upgraded" my Tivo to the HR20 a couple of months ago. In retrospect I regret making that change. The HR20 is just too buggy. If I were you, I would wait another 6 months before making the switch.
If the use of the HR20 for you is "mission critical" and you cannot tolerate some bugs, a few missed recordings, an occasional reboot and some such, then WAIT.

(The same criteria should apply to your family, of course)

I've had mine about 3.5 months...it's worked very, very well. There are some issues but they are very minor for me. I have only missed 2 recordings in 14 weeks, have never had to do a reset, my HR20 has never locked up.

I like my HR20 a LOT! I can't imagine not having it during all this time and waiting for six months while everything "got better".

So...it's all up to you...how much of a perfectionist are you? What level of problems are you willing to live with before getting bent out of shape? How important is it that it work perfectly?

Is the HR20 merely an "appliance" for you, or do you have a techo-geekie approach to it? If the former, I'd wait. If the latter...dive in...it's been a fine adventure so far.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
I've been quite happy except for one short week where FF/RW did not work properly (I tolerated that). My wife has gradually warmed up to the box and if it were to have Dual Live Buffers, she'd like it more than the TiVo.

·
Godfather
415 Posts
tkrandall said:

I was in your shoes this past late summer, after 3 years or so with a Dish Network SD DVR. I decided I wanted (well, "needed" is what I told the wife) NFLST, and wanted (err...needed) HD, and was absolutely sold on DVRs in genereal--how did we ever live without these things?

My first 3 (yes, 3) HD DVRs were the HR10-250 DirecTivos, none of which ever worked correctly. After the 3rd strike, they "upgraded" me to the HR20. It's been quite stable for me, with only 1 missed recording since mid-September when I got it (it auto-deleted a ST game). The othere issues I've had have been only minor annoyances: Caller ID not working properly, etc. I've never had a BSOD or the immediate "keep/delete" bug, and it's never completely locked up on me, requiring a RBR.

Having said that, if you require a box to be "set it and forget it" reliable right out of the box, you might want to steer clear of the HR20, at least for now. There are enough people here with more major issues than me to say that...for now. Although I think things have improved for a lot of people as the software has been updated.

What's your level of tolerance for possible problems? What's your level of "geekiness" for gadgets? How reliant is your happiness on the DVR working 100% properly (think of the WAF, etc.)?

·
Icon
530 Posts
tkrandall said:

i believe the following is all true and fair:

If you are very fond of the Tivo interface, you might have troubel adjusting
If you get a HR20 that does not have issues you will be proabbly be very happy , once you adjust to the interface.
If you get a HR20 with issues, you will curse the day the HR20 was invented and DTV stopped allowing Tivo to develop integrated boxes.

just know the risk exists and whether you want to deal with the potential issues.

So you can judge my opinion:
I DO NOT have a HR20.

I have 4 Dtivos. i like them alot. I bought and R15 and disliked the interface but that was personal taste. I de-activated it due to numerous bugs (see R15 thread). Since then I have acquired an additional 2 Dtivos to get me to my current 4.

THe tale of the HR20 seems to similar to the issues of the R15 and that has taken over 13 months and counting to fix...but it DOES NOT happen to everyone.

Despite the fact the issue is inthe software and everyone has the same software..

I am admittedly anti -DVR+. So take that as you choose, but I would not move to DVR+ boxes at this time...if you do keep at lest one Tivo active as a backup for the most important shows.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I'm pretty tolerant if quirks - but I do want my set to actually work. I pretty flexible and am geeky enought to frequent boards like this - but I'm not going to go so far as to hack my box.

·
Legend
109 Posts
911medic said:
...There are enough people here with more major issues than me to say that...for now. Although I think things have improved for a lot of people as the software has been updated.....
I have only been reading these forums for a week or so. I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge. This is a great resource.

It is indeed unsettling to read of so many problems with D* (that's the way it's written I think), or specific hardware, but it might be important to assume that there are an enormous amount of subscribers with specific hardware who have not had any problem and don't comment. Isn't it true too that people are often drawn to a forum when they have a problem? . . meant to be rhetorical.

I've only been a subscriber for about 10 months and I'm quite happy with the service. I believe I have a killer picture with D*and my Samsung, but I did have problems with my HR10-250 freezing, and got a replacement that was not trouble free. I was happy to switch about a month ago to a 5LNB and an HR20.

I believe the HR20 simply handles better in every way. It appears to be a well supported product with the software upgrades and I suspect it will offer good service in time to come. The minor glitches I am aware of do not present a problem to me. Operation thus far has been flawless. (I got the new software early this AM automatically)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
tkrandall said:
Thanks. I'm pretty tolerant if quirks - but I do want my set to actually work. I pretty flexible and am geeky enought to frequent boards like this - but I'm not going to go so far as to hack my box.
You don't have to hack it. - But keeping a backup TIVO isn't a bad idea. As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, the stability of this box is improving with each update. So long as that trend continues, you should be fine.

I have rebooted mine every 1-3 weeks since september. A reboot has always fixed my problem, and I have lost 3 recordings since September. Others on this board have had trouble with missed recordings, I did with one show, but reprogramming it solved the problem.

It's fun to watch the box evolve. It will be even more fun if we ever get Dual Live Buffers. :D

·
Godfather
415 Posts
mikefeuer said:
It is indeed unsettling to read of so many problems with D* (that's the way it's written I think), or specific hardware, but it might be important to assume that there are an enormous amount of subscribers with specific hardware who have not had any problem and don't comment.
I think it's important to consider that possibility/probability, but to assume it as fact may be going a little far; it's common sense to think that way, but still conjecture nonetheless. (To clarify, I'm in agreement with your general idea, here.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.