DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Godfather
415 Posts
tkrandall said:
I'm looking to take the jump to a DLP or SXRD HD set, which would be my first HD set. All of this talk about major problems with the new MPEG4 boxes has me very concerned about going with the D* HD option at this time. In particular the 2 year requirement when E* allows you to not commit.

I'd like some feedback on just how good/bad the HR20 is. My current set up (which would remain) is 2 SD DirecTIVO HDR40 boxes, which have worked like a charm for 2.5 and almost 3.5 years now.

Would you were an SD customer, would you jump to D* HD offering at this time?
I was in your shoes this past late summer, after 3 years or so with a Dish Network SD DVR. I decided I wanted (well, "needed" is what I told the wife) NFLST, and wanted (err...needed) HD, and was absolutely sold on DVRs in genereal--how did we ever live without these things?

My first 3 (yes, 3) HD DVRs were the HR10-250 DirecTivos, none of which ever worked correctly. After the 3rd strike, they "upgraded" me to the HR20. It's been quite stable for me, with only 1 missed recording since mid-September when I got it (it auto-deleted a ST game). The othere issues I've had have been only minor annoyances: Caller ID not working properly, etc. I've never had a BSOD or the immediate "keep/delete" bug, and it's never completely locked up on me, requiring a RBR.

Having said that, if you require a box to be "set it and forget it" reliable right out of the box, you might want to steer clear of the HR20, at least for now. There are enough people here with more major issues than me to say that...for now. Although I think things have improved for a lot of people as the software has been updated.

What's your level of tolerance for possible problems? What's your level of "geekiness" for gadgets? How reliant is your happiness on the DVR working 100% properly (think of the WAF, etc.)?

·
Godfather
415 Posts
mikefeuer said:
It is indeed unsettling to read of so many problems with D* (that's the way it's written I think), or specific hardware, but it might be important to assume that there are an enormous amount of subscribers with specific hardware who have not had any problem and don't comment.
I think it's important to consider that possibility/probability, but to assume it as fact may be going a little far; it's common sense to think that way, but still conjecture nonetheless. (To clarify, I'm in agreement with your general idea, here.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.