DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In mid September Youngstown finally got HD locals. I was very excited, but only 2 are actual HD. For whatever reason the others are not in HD. WKBN was one that I was really wanting in HD so that I could watch the Browns games in HD, but it still hasn't happened. Does anyone know what the holdup is? I have searched the forum and the web but haven't been able to find anything out. Any information would be awesome.

Thanks,

7 Posts
I was very disappointed when we finally got locals and only 21 and 33 were HD. I called that very night and voiced my concern to Directv but they didn't seem to care much, I don't really have any knowledge on this matter but it appears to me that it is a contract negotiation issue because the other stations are broadcasting in HD. WKBN and WYFX are sister stations and both available in HD on TWC. WKBN is available OTA with an antenna but WYFX is not because it is a sub channel to WKBN. This is what really frustrated me b/c I have an antenna so I already had WFMJ and WYTV in HD. I really wish they would get this worked out b/c I would really Fox in HD.I have contacted WKBN through e-mail and they have been no help but I have read in other posts that calling the stations or writing in snail mail can be more effective and I figure the more people demanding it the more they will care.

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done some searching around and it seems that WKBN and its sister station is owned by New Vision Television. It seems that this company is always holding up HD going to Directv becaause they want more money. I have a feeling this is why, I just wish something would happen fast.

· Legend
221 Posts
chinnyishott said:
I was very disappointed when we finally got locals and only 21 and 33 were HD. I called that very night and voiced my concern to Directv but they didn't seem to care much, I don't really have any knowledge on this matter but it appears to me that it is a contract negotiation issue because the other stations are broadcasting in HD. WKBN and WYFX are sister stations and both available in HD on TWC. WKBN is available OTA with an antenna but WYFX is not because it is a sub channel to WKBN. This is what really frustrated me b/c I have an antenna so I already had WFMJ and WYTV in HD. I really wish they would get this worked out b/c I would really Fox in HD.I have contacted WKBN through e-mail and they have been no help but I have read in other posts that calling the stations or writing in snail mail can be more effective and I figure the more people demanding it the more they will care.
Is that 62? (I don't know call letters) Cause if it is, 62 is 27-2, which looks pretty good OTA, just not HD.

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey I just wanted to keep you guys updated. I emailed the president of WKBN to see if he had any information and this afternoon he responded back with the following:

We are getting closer to getting this deal done with Direct.

Just wanted to keep you updated and thank you for your interest....and your
patience.

Sincerely,

David H. Coy
President/General Manager
WKBN/WYFX/WYTV*-TV
3930 Sunset Blvd.
Youngstown, Ohio 44512
330-781-7060 voice
330-565-8127 mobile

* WYTV(TV) is licensed to Parkin Broadcasting of Youngstown License, LLC.
Advertising on WYTV(TV) sold by NVT Youngstown, LLC pursuant to a joint
sales agreement.

· Legend
243 Posts
I wanted to let the Y-Town folks know that I discovered HD Duplicates in my online guide today!? I havent noticed our CBS (27) and Fox (62) going HD on my TV yet though. H*ll, 27.2 OTA is still SD instead of HD.

Attachments

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was watching the Big Bang Theory last night and to my suprise it was in HD, I haven't found any information about them doing this anywhere, but it was in HD. I can't wait to watch the Browns in HD!!

· Legend
243 Posts
bustatc said:
I was watching the Big Bang Theory last night and to my suprise it was in HD, I haven't found any information about them doing this anywhere, but it was in HD. I can't wait to watch the Browns in HD!!
You talking dish channel 27?

I had sent an email to the station engineer... got a response back that "all sat companies use the recieving station outside salem oh. Since they are broadcasting HD OTA, they (D*) are getting the HD signal." And to his account the carriage rights were delt months ago (last fall).

So I sent an email to D* and got a response back from one of their engineers that they do have the agreement, but at their current state, the sattelites didnt have the bandwidth to send the HD signal. He said he had no time frame, but that their conversion from MP2 to MP4 and moving certain channels around will allow them to rebroadcast the HD signal.

I got this email about 3 weeks ago. So, for you to say it was in HD last night... (I wasnt able to watch anything)...this is great!

(As for the Browns games this past summer... I was switching to my OTA tuner and watching the games.)

If you havent noticed, Fox 62 (27.2) is also in HD now. In the same response email from the station engineer he advised that they were testing their new digital transmitter. He said the performance could be a little flakey. They started broadcasting their HD signal the monday night Obama gave his first speech. (I dont remember the date.)

· Banned
4,253 Posts
I use an AM21 and 21 (21.1) 27 (27.1) 33 (33.1) and 62 (27.2) are all HD OTA.

I also filled out For D* to send a waiver to Fox (62) and CBS (27) to see if I can get DNS HD since Technically it's not available on the Satellite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.