DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just re-upped and boy, did I get a deal!

My free HD Access For 24 Months deal finally ended so I needed to call in to get it extended. I have been off of contract for quite a while so I thought, let's get everything I want. Why go for a measly $10 a month when I can score the whole kielbasa?

This is what I wanted in order of importance, and of course, at no charge, to go back on commitment:

1) Free HD Access reinstated.
2) To go from my unsupported WHDVR system to a supported one with DECA and SWiM.
3) Swap my H23 for a HR24 (I'd keep my HR20-700 and HR23).
4) Tweak my dish for better reception.

I called in directly to Retention (I didn't feel bad about escalating this right away as I never call DirecTV and I wanted someone who could take care of my requests.) and got a man I'll call Cyrano Jones.

Cyrano Jones was very helpful, as was I. We were laughing and joking all the way through the 45 minute conversation.

Easiest was giving me back free HD Access. That took a minute if not less.

The toughest thing was adding the DECA and SWiM. This is where I'm glad I called Retention. Cyrano Jones got creative by putting me into the Mover's Connection program. He told me I am moving. Imagine my surprise. But, because of that, I will get the DECA, SWiM, the Home Theater connection kit, multiswitch and any other hardware I need for free, beyond my DVRs and remotes, which I will bring along to my "new" house. We came across a roadblock because the system already thinks I have WHDVR. I currently pay DirecTV $3 a month for the service. But, in fact, I really don't have the standard system for WHDVR. I have the Beta test version from three years ago. Cyrano Jones went to his supervisor (Station Manager Lurry?), who understood my situation and removed the $3 payment. That accomplished, the system figured out just what I'll need in terms of hardware. The Mover's Connection deal will also take care of my dish tweak. Of course it will need to be tweaked, if not replaced, at my new location.

As for the HR24, Cyrano Jones was pleasantly surprised that I knew he couldn't guarantee me one. We talked for a while about my getting a $200 credit so I could buy one through Solid Signal. That would have been tough. It was then Cyrano Jones asked if I knew about the HR34? He could give me one for free, given my good standing with DirecTV. Yes, that would be just fine, thank you.

Finally, with all I was getting, Cyrano Jones said he could throw in NFL Sunday Ticket for free. I've never wanted to spend the extra money for ST as all I really care about are the Packers, but for free? If for nothing else, I'll enjoy the Red Zone...and watching Peyton Manning play for the Broncos.

So here is what I got for a new two year commitment:

1) Free HD Access.
2) Free upgrade to DECA and SWiM.
3) Free upgrade from H23 to HR34.
4) Free going through my system to make sure everything is OK, including dish alignment.
5) Free NFL Sunday Ticket

The appointment is for Thursday morning. I've already received the automated call from DirecTV confirming my appointment. I'll have to disconnect and move some things around before then. I'm just moving in, remember?

Thank you, DirecTV, and especially, thank you, Cyrano Jones! I'm going to spread tribbles throughout the house in your honor.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,612 Posts
Well, I guess I'm happy for you. Seems like a rather shady move by Cyrano Jones though.

Mr. Jones should be ashamed... If he worked at a retail store would he just let his friends take the merchandise without paying? That seems to be what he did for you.

Again I'm happy for you - but geez....

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Wow. I've been out of contract for over a year, have no whole-home of any kind, and would love some upgrades like that. (I'm also being billed the full amount for Sunday Ticket.)

Mr. Spock, what's your percentage to act as my agent?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
"Stuart Sweet" said:
"Mr. Spock, why aren't you dead?"
!rolling

I am out of commitment as well, and I've been thinking of calling to try for free NFLST. After hearing this story, I may have to set my sights a bit higher. :p

·
Legend
234 Posts
Carl Spock said:
I'll have to disconnect and move some things around before then. I'm just moving in, remember?
You don't have to fake a move for the tech, he'll be more than happy to get paid for an install.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Hell of a deal. Congrats!!

I just got off the phone with D* about dropping back to NFLST and Choice Xtra from Premier. While the deal I got isn't nearly as the one you did, I ended up not dropping a thing and the bottom line being about $8 total more than I would pay with Xtra and keep Premier.

I'm a happy camper! :)

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
"Mr. Spock, why aren't you dead?"
"I've been dead before."

Thank you for all the complements. It was the old "you get more flies with honey" approach. Plus I am almost a year off of commitment, with Premier, and I'm not a pain in the butt. I really do never call unless I have a problem, and I rarely have problems. I save all my requests for discounts or freebies for once every 2-3 years when I recommit. I have always gotten what I wanted. In this case, obviously I got a lot more.

hdtvfan0001 said:
...and to make matters worse...Carl said we're stuck with him for at least 2 more years now.... :lol:
:slowgrin:

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike Greer said:
Well, I guess I'm happy for you. Seems like a rather shady move by Cyrano Jones though.
Cyrano Jones went to his supervisor maybe three times in the course of putting this deal together. He wasn't a loose cannon.

Plus look at it this way. Even figuring no price increase in 2013 and 2014, which we both know is an impossibility, DirecTV will get about $3,600 from me over the course of the contract. It cost them a fancy DVR, a bunch of parts, a few hours of installation and ST for free this year. With the last one, they are just like any drug dealer. "First one's free, kid."

They're making money on this deal.

dielray said:
You don't have to fake a move for the tech, he'll be more than happy to get paid for an install.
Of course, you're right.

Driving around town after I wrote this and preparing for Thursday's install in my mind, I'm going to move things to where they should be and disconnect the stuff that's gotta go. I'll make it easy on the installer because, that way, I'm more likely to get a correct installation.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Carl Spock said:
So here is what I got for a new two year commitment:

1) Free HD Access.
2) Free upgrade to DECA and SWiM.
3) Free upgrade from H23 to HR34.
4) Free going through my system to make sure everything is OK, including dish alignment.
5) Free NFL Sunday Ticket
It beats a T-shirt! ;)

Carl Spock said:
Cyrano Jones went to his supervisor maybe three times in the course of putting this deal together. He wasn't a loose cannon.
It's the 'fro discount... :D

I used to get the 'stache discount... :(

~Alan

·
Dad
6,606 Posts
What's worth noting, is you didn't write about any threats. I like the part about laughing and joking.

I've often found the CSR's at any company are more likely to go out of their way to help you when you make their day just a little brighter. Great example.

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A little bird just PM'd me to say that the Red Zone is not part of the regular Sunday Ticket package but is just in Sunday Ticket Max. As I have basically ignored Sunday Ticket all these years, I didn't even know there was Sunday Ticket Max. For $100, I can do without the Red Zone and watching football on my computer and phone.

Free is free, right? I am definitely not complaining.

Here's DirecTV's website on this difference:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/nfl

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"Carl Spock" said:
A little bird just PM'd me to say that the Red Zone is not part of the regular Sunday Ticket package but is just in Sunday Ticket Max. As I have basically ignored Sunday Ticket all these years, I didn't even know there was Sunday Ticket Max. For $100, I can do without the Red Zone and watching football on my computer and phone.

Free is free, right? I am definitely not complaining.

Here's DirecTV's website on this difference:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/nfl
It's changed over the years. Back in the day it was called Superfan and was what you needed for HD.

·
AllStar
233 Posts
I hope you have better luck with a fake movers deal than I did. about two years ago I called in to retention to ask about a deal I had heard of with free Premiere for 6 months. The CSR worked for a while and said I was in luck and that he could put me in for the movers deal and get premiere free for six months and Sunday Ticket for free. I told him that I wasn't moving but he said the computer doesn't know that and set me up. Two months later I got the bill for full price for premiere and Sunday Ticket. When I called in to complain, the agent and a supervisor said that when I didn't get a date for the move the computer kicked out the deal and charged me full price. I had to make numerous calls over several months and had to get the VP's office involved before I got a credit to cover most, not all, of the cost. They also said they were going to discipline the retention agent for setting up a fake move. So keep an eye out, maybe they have changed their policy and allow fake moves but I would be wary.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.