DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 17th is the deadline.
Price drops $15 a month if they loose them.
Getting tired of this BS with YTTV and ALL the carriers.
First I lost Bally Sports. No ESPNs!

I HATE ro have to go back to the EVIL that is AT&T but might not have a choice anymore.

Might just drop everything until next Football season.
Using Bally’s app with the GF’s login.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Hall Of Fame
4,997 Posts
December 17th is the deadline.
Price drops $15 a month if they loose them.
Getting tired of this BS with YTTV and ALL the carriers.
First I lost Bally Sports. No ESPNs!

I HATE ro have to go back to the EVIL that is AT&T but might not have a choice anymore.

Might just drop everything until next Football season.
Using Bally's app with the GF's login.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
According to Nashguy it's the future of all our TV lol

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
According to Nashguy it's the future of all our TV lol
God, you're the king of s#itposting. For anyone interested in what I *actually* posted, here it is:

YTTV, it appears to me, is well on its way to becoming the next-gen replacement for traditional cable/satellite. I think we'll increasingly see smaller MSOs throw in the towel on their own cable TV service and just become YTTV resellers. No one is able, or at least willing, to compete with them on price, not even Comcast. So funny that Comcast is now a YTTV reseller too via their Flex streaming platform!

YTTV will become the undisputed leader of vMVPDs, a growing sub-category of the overall shrinking cable TV universe. Whether vMVPDs ever become the majority of all cable TV subscriptions, IDK.

·
Mentor
482 Posts
The thing is, you DO have a choice. You have a choice, at any moment you choose, to switch to a new provider. That's the nice thing about this whole streaming venture. If you're unhappy, jump ship until they provide what you want. Are carriage contract negotiations/blackouts annoying? Definitely. But we're not tied down by contracts in this world. And, the channels aren't gone, yet. This isn't much different than the NBC Universal red alarms. They'll get a deal done.

You're already utilizing your GF's credentials for Bally Sports (Full disclosure: I do the same.) You can do it for the ESPN app and other Disney-owned services if you're needing the content.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I saw something on TV other night that Disney might be coming out with their own streaming stick. One they showed one shaped like the trademark mouse ears with a HDMI plug on it.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is, you DO have a choice. You have a choice, at any moment you choose, to switch to a new provider. That's the nice thing about this whole streaming venture. If you're unhappy, jump ship until they provide what you want. Are carriage contract negotiations/blackouts annoying? Definitely. But we're not tied down by contracts in this world. And, the channels aren't gone, yet. This isn't much different than the NBC Universal red alarms. They'll get a deal done.

You're already utilizing your GF's credentials for Bally Sports (Full disclosure: I do the same.) You can do it for the ESPN app and other Disney-owned services if you're needing the content.
Yep you're right and 100% happy with that. Still a pain and then have to rearrange my HDMI stuff fore the osprey box.

I have the Disney+ bundle with Verizon, so I have ESPNs. ABC via OTA. Just rather not watch via another app. Sometimes ESPNs quality blows. Ballys is CRAP for 5 min and then gets better.

Not my service either. 929 download at the Apple TV and 998 at the erro router.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,997 Posts
God, you're the king of s#itposting. For anyone interested in what I actually posted, here it is:

YTTV, it appears to me, is well on its way to becoming the next-gen replacement for traditional cable/satellite. I think we'll increasingly see smaller MSOs throw in the towel on their own cable TV service and just become YTTV resellers. No one is able, or at least willing, to compete with them on price, not even Comcast. So funny that Comcast is now a YTTV reseller too via their Flex streaming platform!

YTTV will become the undisputed leader of vMVPDs, a growing sub-category of the overall shrinking cable TV universe. Whether vMVPDs ever become the majority of all cable TV subscriptions, IDK.
And your the king of **** predictions... If you dont want to be called out on your outlandish posts dont make them

·
Mentor
482 Posts
Sometimes ESPNs quality blows. Ballys is CRAP for 5 min and then gets better. Not my service either. 929 download at the Apple TV and 998 at the erro router.
Same. I'm just working with 50MB up/down connection, and rarely have any issues. I also agree on the Bally's app. I don't know if my initial issues last five minutes, but there's a good minute where it appears to catch up on a full resolution picture.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
How come Sling is the only provider to break ESPN out of their lineup and offer it separately? $35/mo for most channels, add $15 for Disney and ESPN's. Guess that is where YTTV got the $15 discount fee from, but they are losing a LOT more channels than the 6 channels Sling gets the $15 for.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
How come Sling is the only provider to break ESPN out of their lineup and offer it separately? $35/mo for most channels, add $15 for Disney and ESPN's. Guess that is where YTTV got the $15 discount fee from, but they are losing a LOT more channels than the 6 channels Sling gets the $15 for.
It's about time that some system took that stand and said how much the bill will go down What can the mouse contuner with?

foxtel australia and sky New Zealand have espn in the sports pack.

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
Streaming services like YTTV, Directv Stream, Fubo, Hulu with Live TV etc. are just replacements for traditional cable/sat, but instead of running a cable or having a dish on your roof, it's just internet based. Really it's the same thing. So with that comes the same issues you had with your traditional services. Do they have the channels you want. How often do they fight with content providers over carriage fees etc. SSDD. And the prices are beginning to creep up to the point where it's not all the much cheaper any longer, especially if you are only using one or two TVs. It's just a different method to get to the same thing. True cord cutting is foregoing this traditional model and just getting the apps for the content you watch. So using Disney+, HBO Max, ATV+ and so forth and maybe, if you still want some "channels' you throw an antenna on your roof. But, if you want to watch something you normally don't, especially on the spur of the moment, you are SOL. And if you are REALLY good at the game and committed to it, you can play service roulette and sub to services to watch a few shows and then stop. But most of us are not that committed so services like YTTV exist so that we can have the traditional TV experience but over the internet (though there are differences, like no channel numbers for some of these services). But the "cool kids" are becoming much more likely to buy the services they want and play the modern game. And old fogey like me is less likely.

·
Mentor
482 Posts
And the prices are beginning to creep up to the point where it's not all the much cheaper any longer, especially if you are only using one or two TVs.
I know I'm cherry picking from your post, but this really isn't necessarily true in the context that "It's basically priced the same as traditional satellite/cable now." We're a one TV home. My subscription services are listed below. Taking away the seasonal sports subscriptions, my current monthly total is just under what I was paying per month for the world's satellite TV leader. (Memory fades, but I believe I had the Xtra package and HBO.) However, I've got a lot, LOT more content to choose from. All for what I was paying before. Plus, if the better half is watching another "Real Housewives" reunion and I need to get a basketball fix, I'll pop it up on my tablet and be satisfied.

Are the subscription prices on YTTV and things rising? Yes. Is the product getting more robust and better? Yes. These things are somewhat tied together.

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
I know I'm cherry picking from your post, but this really isn't necessarily true in the context that "It's basically priced the same as traditional satellite/cable now." We're a one TV home. My subscription services are listed below. Taking away the seasonal sports subscriptions, my current monthly total is just under what I was paying per month for the world's satellite TV leader. (Memory fades, but I believe I had the Xtra package and HBO.) However, I've got a lot, LOT more content to choose from. All for what I was paying before. Plus, if the better half is watching another "Real Housewives" reunion and I need to get a basketball fix, I'll pop it up on my tablet and be satisfied.

Are the subscription prices on YTTV and things rising? Yes. Is the product getting more robust and better? Yes. These things are somewhat tied together.
No doubt that the price is still lower, but it used to be SIGNIFICANTLY lower. And with all of these content providers realizing that there's a lot of money to be made, there will be more Disney and others threatening to pull their channels without a bigger piece of the pie. It's inevitable. You will save because you don't need extra equipment, but that day of reckoning is coming soon too, as we recently saw the Roku vs. YTTV battle. So these streamers are getting it from both ends. On one hand the content providers will want their piece of the pie, and on the other, the platforms are going to want theirs as well. These companies are in it for the money. They aren't in it to make cord cutters happy and save them money. Eventually you'll pay too. Right now, depending on what you do, what you need, the potential is there to save money. But that might not always be the case. Enjoy it while you can.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Streaming was always going to end up at the same place here... Either individual services charging whatever they want and if you want them you have to pay OR streaming versions of the cable/satellite services that offer combinations of more options that then will have the same carriage negotiation problems. Some people seem genuinely surprised that we arrived here, but I know I was with a group of folk who said this was the inevitable future.

Don't love it, but not surprised by it. I figure they will make a deal somehow... the only question is how much our bills will go up as a result because I don't think there is any more new content to add from the Mouse because anything truly new they would be keeping for their own streaming service I presume.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well YTTV and Disney could not agree, So is bye bye Disney Channels.
I wonder will this go on like the Bally's dispute and be permanent. YTTV better change their marketing about sports.

·
Godfather
798 Posts
Channels going dark on a streaming service provider, I'm shocked! :rolleyes:
As someone who has watched their YouTube TV bill go from $45 to $65 as they add channels that I have no interest, I’m glad to see them take this stand. I’m tired of paying this much for TV services - that’s why I left DirecTV about 5 years ago. It was bad enough making the annual call to get discounts, but when they say no, and your $75 bill doubles, it’s time to go.

Personally, I’d be happy if I could get the games that are on the ESPN linear channels through ESPN+ that I am subscribed to. But, meh, I would have gone to a sports bar to watch the one bowl game I care about, anyway. My wife watches some of the cartoons on the Disney Channel. I’ll guess she will have to get used to streaming them on the app. The big issue with this one is that they took down the local ABC station. I can get it OTA, but that means changing TV inputs. So, this is more an inconvenience than anything.

Today, I’m more annoyed by the postponement of Premier League games than this shenanigans. Hopefully, that will be back to normal by Boxing Day.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As someone who has watched their YouTube TV bill go from $45 to $65 as they add channels that I have no interest, I’m glad to see them take this stand. I’m tired of paying this much for TV services - that’s why I left DirecTV about 5 years ago. It was bad enough making the annual call to get discounts, but when they say no, and your $75 bill doubles, it’s time to go.

Personally, I’d be happy if I could get the games that are on the ESPN linear channels through ESPN+ that I am subscribed to. But, meh, I would have gone to a sports bar to watch the one bowl game I care about, anyway. My wife watches some of the cartoons on the Disney Channel. I’ll guess she will have to get used to streaming them on the app. The big issue with this one is that they took down the local ABC station. I can get it OTA, but that means changing TV inputs. So, this is more an inconvenience than anything.

Today, I’m more annoyed by the postponement of Premier League games than this shenanigans. Hopefully, that will be back to normal by Boxing Day.
Well ESPN/Sports is important to many people. YTTV always billed themselves about sports. Well they lost a chunk of sports now. PQ is fading lately too. YTTV will be in the future for those who don't care about sports and keep pricing down.

I love sports but I am also TIRED of the BS money these fools make playing kid games, because WE the Fans are willing to pay these people crazy amounts of money to see them run around. Frankly I am getting tired of it.

I guess I stick with YTTV for now and my ESPN+ programing or just back to the evil that is AT&T and pay too much.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts