Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably, a silly question for you HD experts, but a mystery to me:

I have a Mitsubishi "HD ready" big screen TV (six year old rear projection) that I've never used for HD. I can't get the Direct HD satellites (due to line of sight issues) so I receive only SD from Direct, via the satellite at 101.

Nonetheless, I'm interested in using the HR20 as an SD DVR and an OTA HD receiver (when that feature is enabled)-- and since they're willing to give me one as a free upgrade from my R15, that seems like a good deal. My TV is too old for HDMI, but does have YPbPr inputs-- can I use those inputs as my sole video connection to the HR20, even though I won't be receiving any HD programming? Or does that just transmit HD video-- IOW, do I have to use an additional input on the TV and hook up an S-video or composite video as well to receive non-HD content?

Thanks,

Denny

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
DennyC said:

I have a Mitsubishi "HD ready" big screen TV (six year old rear projection) that I've never used for HD. I can't get the Direct HD satellites (due to line of sight issues) so I receive only SD from Direct, via the satellite at 101.

Nonetheless, I'm interested in using the HR20 as an SD DVR and an OTA HD receiver (when that feature is enabled)-- and since they're willing to give me one as a free upgrade from my R15, that seems like a good deal. My TV is too old for HDMI, but does have YPbPr inputs-- can I use those inputs as my sole video connection to the HR20, even though I won't be receiving any HD programming? Or does that just transmit HD video-- IOW, do I have to use an additional input on the TV and hook up an S-video or composite video as well to receive non-HD content?

Thanks,

Denny
Kind Off topic from your actual question, but if you can get 101 with a decent
signal, you should be able to get 103 and 99. They can put the AT9 up and
you wouldn't get the 119 and 109, but I don't see why you couldn't get the other.

Unless there is more to the situation.

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wmschultz said:
... if you can get 101 with a decent
signal, you should be able to get 103 and 99. They can put the AT9 up and
you wouldn't get the 119 and 109...
I do think I could get 103 and 99-- forgive my naivete, but what would I gain by doing that? I assume I wouldn't get the Phoenix locals in HD (but when OTA is enabled, that won't be a big deal); would a three LNB dish get me all the other HD programming?

There are other reasons why I can't mount an AT9: it's too heavy to mount on a stucco house, so would have to be a pole mount, and their standard ($75) pole mount won't get it high enough. I could do a custom (higher) pole mount to make it work, but would probably alienate my neighbors.

However, I might be able to mount the three LNB dish at the present location-- does it look at 99, 101, and 103?

Thanks for any info!

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
99 and 103 would get you the HD Phoenix locals, you just wouldn't get the National HD channels like ESPN-HD.

Perhaps the SlimLine dish is lighter for you? The standard 3LNB dish won't work if
you want to get 99 & 103.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
it's too heavy to mount on a stucco house,
The stucco isn't structural, it's applied over another surface; a qualified installer could do it I'm sure. You could also do a roof-mount.

·
Banned
614 Posts
DennyC said:

Thanks,

Denny
Use the Yellow,Red & White for SD 480i.

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LameLefty said:
The stucco isn't structural, it's applied over another surface; a qualified installer could do it I'm sure. You could also do a roof-mount.
You obviously have never seen how they build houses in Phoenix. :)

The stucco is applied over what is essentially chicken wire and styrofoam; I could easily put my fist clear through the wall with only one punch. The only thing substantial enough to support any sort of dish are the wall studs.

Plus, stucco cracks easily-- which, I'm told, is why the several installers I've talked to all agree that installation of the AT9 on stucco walls is prohibited, regardless of what's under it. Roof mount won't work for me either-- it's a tile roof, and the neighbors would go nuts if I mounted one up there anyway.

·
Banned
614 Posts
DennyC said:
That's what I'm trying to avoid-- it ties up another input on the TV. Are you saying I won't be able to view SD 480i via the component video inputs?
If you want HD, buy a set that has HDMI or the connectors you want to use to get a true HD signal. No SD set is going to provide true HD for you no matter what you try.

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wmschultz said:
99 and 103 would get you the HD Phoenix locals, you just wouldn't get the National HD channels like ESPN-HD.

Perhaps the SlimLine dish is lighter for you? The standard 3LNB dish won't work if
you want to get 99 & 103.
If the standard 3 LNB dish won't work, I think I'm screwed-- several installers all say the same thing: they can't mount an AT9 on the stucco wall or on the tile roof (I have a flat, non-tile roof over the garage-- but unfortunately, it faces north). I didn't specifically ask about the SlimLine dish, though-- I'll do that when the HR20 arrives.

·
Banned
614 Posts
LockMD said:
componet can do all HD & SD, red white yellow is SD only.
Obviously you can't read... if you read the original post, you would know that this guy wants to use HD connectors on an SD set, which is futile.

Read the entire post and comments, and think before you speak.

Everyone know's that yellow, Red, and White are for SD, that's exactly what I said!

·
Godfather
356 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Obviously you can't read... if you read the original post, you would know that this guy wants to use HD connectors on an SD set, which is futile.

Read the entire post and comments, and think before you speak.

Everyone know's that yellow, Red, and White are for SD, that's exactly what I said!
The question is: YPbPr Inputs, with no HD-- will it work?

The answer is YES you can use componet for SD

WHO CAN'T READ, YOU @$$!!

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cybrsurfer said:
... if you read the original post, you would know that this guy wants to use HD connectors on an SD set, which is futile.
Unless I'm confused on the terminology (always a possibility), this is NOT an SD set, it's an HD set (it's a Mitsubishi VS-60805, if that helps). It says "HD 1080i" on the front, but it doesn't have a built-in HDTV receiver-- I have to use an external HDTV receiver of some sort. What I'm hoping to do is use the HR20 as that external HDTV receiver-- although, with only a single LNB dish, the only HDTV programming I'll get is what eventually is available OTA.

So my question was, all that considered, will the component video hookups be sufficient to view whatever programming (both SD and HD) that comes through the HR20? I just found the manual for the TV (it's been MIA for a few years) and there's this, regarding the "HDTV Video Connection Compatibility": "Mitsubishi recommends that you use the HDTV component video signals. For HDTV receivers other than the Mitsubishi HD-1080 HDTV Receiver, this input is compatible with most standard HDTV receivers that have component video outputs. Compatible signals are SDTV 480i or 480p and HDTV 1080i. All other digital TV signals, such as 720p, need to be converted by the HDTV receiver to any of the above signals."

So, based on that, I should be good to go, right?

·
Godfather
356 Posts
DennyC said:
So my question was, all that considered, will the component video hookups be sufficient to view whatever programming (both SD and HD) that comes through the HR20? Seems like the general consensus is yes.
Yes, componet will work fine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.