DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried the new Zinwell http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=WB616 6x16 switch. Was curious if the power to this switch increases the signal strength.

I have one run that is about 100 ft, and the signal is noticably weaker than the shorter runs. Do you think by this switch being powered will help the signal on the longer runs? I currently have the zinwell 6x8 switch.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
It shouldn't make a difference. The power is to run any multiswitches and the internal switches in the LNBs, which is generally a bigger problem than signal levels over long runs (and why solid-copper center conductor coax is recommended). Although 100 feet is longer than your other runs and the signal level may be lower, it should be adequate if the dish is properly installed.

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bobnielsen said:
It shouldn't make a difference. The power is to run any multiswitches and the internal switches in the LNBs, which is generally a bigger problem than signal levels over long runs (and why solid-copper center conductor coax is recommended). Although 100 feet is longer than your other runs and the signal level may be lower, it should be adequate if the dish is properly installed.
On the shorter runs, I get signals from 90 to 95 on sat. 101 for most transponders. On the longer run, it is generally about "20" less on each transponder - or around 75% or so on sat 101. Would that still be considered acceptable. Sometimes I will notice drop outs during inclement weather. What is generally considered an acceptable signal before I should be too concerned.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
RCKYMTN said:
On the shorter runs, I get signals from 90 to 95 on sat. 101 for most transponders. On the longer run, it is generally about "20" less on each transponder - or around 75% or so on sat 101. Would that still be considered acceptable. Sometimes I will notice drop outs during inclement weather. What is generally considered an acceptable signal before I should be too concerned.

Thanks for your input.
What brand/model DirecTV Receiver do you have connected on the longer run? Some models show lower numbers than others, so you cannot directly compare them unless they're the same brand/model.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,579 Posts
RCKYMTN said:

Thanks for your input.
Sounds like a H20 on that long run they run about 20% lower than other D* receivers. There is no problem if it is a H20.:)

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting, another reason why this site is awesome, so much good info. yea it is an H20, and a HR20 is on one of the shorter runs (actually, a few other receivers on shorter runs too, just not as long as the one to the H20).

So, most likely my signal on the 100 ft / H20 run is actually better than it is reading -- that makes me feel better. I will try another receiver for that run and see what it reads. Does the HR20 provide more of an accurate signal reading than the H20.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
I don't think you can correctly say that any of the receivers provides "a more accurate signal reading". The signal reading is only a relative indicator. It is useful to compare yesterday to today on a given receiver, or to use to align a dish (to the highest reading you can get), etc. It is not useful to compare signal strengths between receivers, especially different models of receivers.

Carl

·
Icon
914 Posts
It's gone down $50 in the last week too.

I actually use splitters and a pair of 6x8 switches, works for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.