DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the final stages of wiring a house for directv among other things. Basically the client wants 10 directv receivers, they are a mix of hd dvr's and regular receivers. The original directv installer that came out installed a zinwell sam4803 multiswitch, this was before the decision to install 10 receivers. A directv rep told us we could order additional zinwell sam4803's and cascade them, that is, 4 wires from dish to first zinwell, 4 wires from 1st zinwell to 2nd zinwell, 4 wire's from 2nd zinwell to 3rd zinwell. That would leave 4 ports for receivers on the first and second zinwell and 8 ports on the third zinwell meaning 16 ports in total.

We hooked everything up the other day and no matter how we hook the system up we cannot get local channels on any receiver. My associate called directv again and they have changed their story now (different rep) and say this wont work but instead to get a 4x16 switch which will cost several hundred dollars. does anyone here have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Jeff Lephew
[email protected]

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,479 Posts
jlephew said:
The original directv installer that came out installed a zinwell sam4803 multiswitch, this was before the decision to install 10 receivers.
And the SAM4803 was also before the advent of five satellites.

I think you'll find that the switch is not compatible with the 5LNB dishes and needs to be replaced with three of the Zinwell WB68 multiswitches.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
A more elegant solution are more appropriate, would to go with the Zinwell 16 output switch.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=WB616

Cascading the switches as much as you did could leave to isues.

The solution using the switches you have is to get 6 1x4 DC Passing splitters.

Send the feeds from the SAT into the splitters (there should be at least 4, and if you are using the 72 or 95 sat there are two more).

Send the outputs of those spliters to each of the switches. Matching the same inputs from each splitter.

That would give 32 outputs net.

Edit: Note... Harsh is right, I don't think that switch is ready for the Ka/Ku Dish.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
harsh said:
And the SAM4803 was also before the advent of five satellites.

I think you'll find that the switch is not compatible with the 5LNB dishes and needs to be replaced with three of the Zinwell WB68 multiswitches.
They have a Phase 3 dish, not the new ka/ku dish

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,479 Posts
jlephew said:
They have a Phase 3 dish, not the new ka/ku dish
The two possibilities for locals are that the necessary satellite isn't being seen or they don't subscribe to locals.

I submit that restricting the client to the Phase III dish (by completing the SAM4803 solution) at this point in time is ill advised. I would think that there is at least one HDTV in the mix.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
system has been up and running for almost a year now with just 2 receivers and 1 hd dvr with a phase 3 dish and no zinwells, local channels come in just fine, as for the hd, i dont know or really care whether they are getting "true" hd or not, just need to get local channels.

edit: this is small town virginia, no nbc/cbs affiliates around here are hd anyway that I know of

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Well if they got locals before, they should still get them. If they are in the same DMA as the location you show, these would be Roanoke locals, which are on the 119 satellite. Do you receive the test channels 492 and 493?

You might try a single multiswitch and get that working before cascading them.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bobnielsen said:
Well if they got locals before, they should still get them. If they are in the same DMA as the location you show, these would be Roanoke locals, which are on the 119 satellite. Do you receive the test channels 492 and 493?

You might try a single multiswitch and get that working before cascading them.
a single multi-switch is what is hooked up now, problem is it only puts out 8 outputs, whenever we hook up the other switches (cascade) we loose the local channels on all ports.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.